Sunday, April 22, 2012

Thing Seven: A Price Above Rubies

I'm a total Wizard of Oz fangirl. I have read all the books (fourteen by L.Frank Baum, dozens by other authors, including his great-grandson, who signed my copy of The Cowardly Lion of Oz when I met him), I own the movie, I've seen stage versions (including, naturally, Wicked), I've been Dorothy Gale for Halloween more than once. So the ruby slippers at the Smithsonian's American History Museum are naturally a draw.

And here's the thing: they're really just hand-sequinned, low-heeled pumps. Pumps like the ones you can get at any bridal store and have dyed to match your bridesmaid's dress. And it would take a long time, but...I could definitely cover a pair of those shoes in sequins. Halloween is coming again soon (it's "soon" in April when you are crazy, but...I am crazy, so there you go), and Dorothy is always a good choice of costume...

No comments:

Post a Comment