Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Thing Twenty-Seven: Comes Back Threefold

Most of these have been about doing something to improve myself. Learning things, going places, that kind of thing.

But there are other people in the world, too. People who need help.

I have, for a long time, donated money to impoverished classrooms at http://www.donorschoose.org/. I like the way I am able to choose projects that I personally think are important (often the arts, but sometimes math or science or whatever if I think the actual project is cool), and then funnel the (very small) amount of money I am able to spare toward them.

But I have something other than money. I have time. I have compassion. I have skills. I can make things. And I think it's time to find a place to donate some of my self and not just some of my wallet.

1 comment:

  1. Have you given to Kiva? They have free loans right now- so you're first loan is free and you can learn about how it works: http://kiva.org/invitedby/dara

    You can find some female artisans- I gave to a woman who sews in Ecuador..... seems up your alley!

    You can also volunteer with them. I'm a volunteer editor. Let me know if you want more details!

    ReplyDelete