Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Thing Two: Under the Wire

I learned to sew when I was three. My mother and grandmother put a needle in my hand as soon as they were reasonably sure I wouldn't try to eat it. Since then, I've made a ridiculous assortment of things - doll clothes, skirts, dresses, corsets, ten-by-fifteen foot tapestries, twelve-by-twenty-five foot replicas of buildings - but I've never made a bra.

This is unusual. Firstly, because I am evangelical about the importance of having a really good bra that fits perfectly and comfortably, and secondly because in my experience, it IMPOSSIBLE to find one of those commercially. Seriously, for the last ten years I've been buying my bras from Europe, sporting weird pressure marks and injuries from too-long wires and popped hooks. And don't even get me started on trying to figure out what to do with a dress with a remotely low neckline or any kind of strap, because that is a nightmare. I mean, the answer turned out to be the aforementioned corsets, but...it's not a good answer, because they are very hard to dance in.

There is no good reason that I haven't tried to make a bra. I mean, the ones I buy cost $80, so if I cannibalized the old ones for some of the wires, I could probably save a pretty penny. And Foundations Revealed has an awesome series on how to make your own bras, so it's not like I don't have the information. I think it's doable.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I have never even considered that bras were a make-able object, and from a girl who makes her own ice cream, that's saying something. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete